Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Why I'm terrified of Finding Scripture Passages in Public

I need to tell you two stories. The first was when I was about 10 or so. During the yearly church meeting, the kids were placed in a room with some older teenagers to watch us. I remember that we played a "game" of who "Who can find that passage first?" The leader would tell us a passage of scripture. The one who found it first one. Let's just say I didn't even know the gospels are in the middle and Psalms and Proverbs were next to each other. (In this moment, I can't even remember which comes before the other.) I didn't get one passage. Oh how unholy I felt that evening.

The second story took place my senior year of high school. I was at a high school retreat sitting in on a workshop. To give some context, not only was I attending the conference i was one of the student leaders. Yes, I was also a senior. I distinctly remember the spot I was sitting in. I distinctly remember raising my hand saying I could find a passage in Malachi  Two minutes later, I asked "where is Malachi  I can't find it." What was worse was the guy sitting next to me was also a student leader. He couldn't find it either.

Because of these vivid memories, I have always been terrified of finding passages of scripture in public. Now that I'm in a class on the doctrine of worship, the professor often asks students to read/find passages of scripture. I have my computer, but I still struggle to remember, where is Malachi?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, I'll review it as soon as I can!